Monday, September 8, 2008

True Confessions.....

A couple of things.....
1. Yesterday after the first part of church, called Sacrament Meeting, I was sitting on the front row waiting for all the adults to clear out of the room. We had Primary in there right after, and I lead the music, so I was just waiting for Primary to start. The oldest man in our ward walked (very slowly and bent over) past me. I hadn't spoken to him for a long time, but I caught his eye and said, "How are you doing, Joe?" He reached out his hand to me and took mine. We talked for a few moments before he moved on. I had to get up and go into the bathroom for a little cry. His hand and arm felt exactly like my dad's did in the final weeks before he died. Very wasted and bony. It just brought up too many memories.

2. I don't know if it is totally because of having one of those years and the stress has been getting to me....

or,

if something is actually physically wrong,

but I'm having enough problems to prompt me to go to the doctor this Friday. It's probably nothing, but I just want to get checked out.

3. Take one 50 year old woman,
and add;
her job,
and her co-workers job, (she's out for another month at least)
and a new semester,
and one on-line photography class,
and one digital illustration class taken on campus,
and weekly water-media illustrations for Watercolor Wednesday,
and weekly any-kind illustrations for Illustration Friday,
and painting the outside of a house,
and daily 2-mile walks,
and .......
you get one very busy person!

I like the things I'm doing. I even throw in sewing, gardening, and once in a big while I even cook a meal or clean!

I'm not complaining. If I feel overwhelmed I just don't do some things. Ever since I decided to do that I've been accomplishing so much more. I don't understand it, but it works.

Last week I was feeling like I just wasn't going to get around to doing an illustration for Watercolor Wednesday. Time was running out. The prompt was "Beatrix Potter". I had ideas running through my head, but didn't feel like I had the time to do anything. Then one evening I thought, "I don't have time to do the illustration I wanted, so I'll just try drawing a rabbit for a little while." I didn't think I would get anything worth posting, but in about an hour I had a nice little illo done which I was able to put on. It wasn't what I'd originally planned, but it was better because I just enjoyed the process and didn't worry about it.


"Peter's eye caught on the jacket, all blue, in the shop window. He made the purchase, as he missed wearing the one he had in his youth."

If I don't get to this week's prompt I'm not going to feel even a little bit guilty. But I may just go doodle for a while, though. Who knows, something may turn up.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you're talking about. The rabbit may not have turned out as you would have like, but to me, you've done a great job! I'm really proud of you and your courage. You amaze me everyday. Thinking of you today and every day.

Shannon said...

What a precious rabbit! You are so talented!!

meg said...

I love it!
Beatrix Potter is one of my favorites- along with "A Happy Miscellany", I'm working on a stretch book based on her notebooks.
You sound a bit like me, with all the coming, going, & commitments- make sure you put yourself in time out when it gets too much!

emiflute said...

I hope the doctor only had good news for you. Hang in there. You do so many things for others. We all appreciate you tremendously. remember you are loved!

Unknown said...

No, I will not have to sleep on a cot with the guys. I'm still taking Thursday and Sunday off. Simply because I can. If I'm needed, they will call and I will have to go, but I'm doing all I can to make it difficult for them to reach me.

My traveling plans are just not in alignment with the sun and the stars. The time will come. When it does, it will be wonderful.

Thinking of you, Mitchowl.

Vickie said...

I'm glad you found the time to just sit and have fun drawing your bunny. It turned out nice. There's is always so much swirling around us that we need to do each day. I agree that sometimes we just have to let a few things go and let happen what happens and move on. I almost didn't do Illustration Friday this week but, I really wanted to so I sat down and did it start to finish last night. We've had a lot going on lately, but have decided to take the weekend off and go up to Jackson Hole. A happy coincidence is that it's the Fall Arts Festival this week.
I hope your doctor visit goes well. I think because you walk every day, that should scare away all illness.
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.