Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Donated Life

This morning I had a wonderful treat. It was the first time I've seen my friend and art mentor since his liver transplant in May. He looked wonderful. I told him so, and he said, "I feel wonderful". I just can't get over how great he looks. The last time I saw him was at my dad's funeral. It was about 2 weeks before he got his transplant. The difference is dramatic. He posted it on his blog. You have to take a peak. And while you're there check out his published children's book, UnBrella.

I haven't always been in favor of donating my organs if and when the situation should ever arise. But when I married Mike it was a topic of discussion that came up quite frequestly. He was very pro-donation. We talked about it a lot. He would always make a point of telling me he had his driver's license marked that he was a donor and wanted to know if I was. He knew I wasn't, but the more he talked about it, the more used to the idea I got. Then I started knowing real people who benefited from donation. A heart transplant for the husband of my former boss, kidney transplants for a couple of other acquaintances and I was sold. This was a good thing. A very good thing. Maybe as I got older I became less attached to my physical body and knew that it was just a tool. When I'm done using this piece of equipment I hope some part of it can be "recycled" for someone in need. That would be a very good thing.

I've been a pro-donate advocate for quite a while now. This morning's encounter only strengthened my committment to it. I think about his family, wife and small children who still have him in their lives. I think about his art and the wonderful images he can still create and share with the world. I think about all the student's lives he will touch as he is once again healthy enough to teach.

And I am very grateful for the selfless donation to his life, and to everyone who knows him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lord knows I can't use my organs when I expire. Why not, if I can, allow someone else a little more time with their family? I've always been a pro-donation advocate. My family knows that, too! I'm glad you're on my band wagon! Loved the sunRISE, too. I didn't know you knew there were such things! *wink*wink*