Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ahoy There, Mateys. Arr!

I don't draw well without photo reference. When our instructor told us to "draw something simple", I thought "oh good, I'll draw a mushroom". Then another class member couldn't decide what to draw so the instructor said, "draw a pirate, in fact everyone draw something to do with pirates."

Panic.

I don't draw well out of my head. I drew a blank. (no pun intended) I started drawing a parrot, but he was ugly so I erased him.

I started drawing an anchor. You'd think an anchor would be easy, right? NOT

I started second guessing myself. Does it have 2 spikes or 3? How far should the spikes go out?

I erased the anchor.

I decided to do an eye patch. ha ha Now that's what I call simple! I then tried to draw a part of the pirate's face around the eye patch. It was mediocre at best.



That was it. That was my whole drawing. I know the instructor thought I had zoomed in on part of his face when he walked past. Nope.

Today in class we have to show our pirate piece. I redid mine last night. I didn't know what to do until I was at my mother's house. I was telling her about class and my eye patch drawing. I told her I needed to find something else to draw. She dug out a picture of her grandson, Michael, all dressed up like a pirate. As I was looking at it I could see my mom's beautiful fluffy cat sitting there watching us. My brain starting connecting dots and I remembered about our poor one-eyed cat at home. Ta-Dah! Captain Winky was born.



I like it. I guess I'm more of a kitty person than a pirate person.

5 comments:

meg said...

I love it!

Unknown said...

I love how one thought leads to another. I do that all the time and end up in a place I never dreamt.

Lisa said...

So great!! What did your teacher say about it?

emiflute said...

giggle. That's so fun. How is your Mom?

Dory said...

Cute Cap't Winky!

Thanks for all your kind words.