Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Superwoman and Not

I saw superwoman on Saturday.

I received a phone call on Saturday morning.
"Hi Linda? This is Stephanie. I know I'm supposed to cut your hair at 11:00 this morning, but I'm running a little behind. Could you possibly come at noon?"

.....ummmm, I'd forgotten about my hair cut.......
"Sure Stephanie, noon would not be a problem."

So that gives me enough time to finish what I was doing and make a quick trip to the store before I arrive for my haircut.

When I walked in I saw Stephanie. She is beautiful. She's tall with perfectly coifed hair (of course) and always dressed like she just stepped off a runway. The model kind, not the airport kind.

Oh, and she's 9 months pregnant.

She came over and said she'd be right with me. Then I watched as she finished coloring one gals hair, instructed another gal on something, and then went back to styling on a third. Another gal who works there came over and asked me if it was all right if she washed my hair instead of Stephanie. Sure, I didn't care who did it. It's just a wash.

When I was washed and prepped Stephanie took over. We chatted a little bit. She has an amazing memory. It doesn't matter what I tell her --- SHE REMEMBERS! She asked me how I've been. I told her I had been extremely busy. A lady at work had to have surgery and I was doing both her job and my job. She said, "another one?" Oh yeah, I had told her about the first surgery fill-in that I did. I'd forgotten.

After a bit she told me she'd be right back and went over to help a gal pick out hair color. Then she instructed her "assistant" on how to mix up the color. Then she was back with me.

As she's working around me her bulging tummy kept bumping into me. Then the phone rang and another customer wanted to schedule with Stephanie. Stephanie said she could book for Tuesday, but she might not be there because of having the baby. I asked her how much longer she had.


"Well, I'm due on the 30th, but I'm already dialated to 3 and I'm 80% effaced."

I just stared at this wonder of a woman.

And hoped she'd finish my hair before her baby dropped onto the floor.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Don't forget, she also called me after my last haircut to ask how it's working out for me and if I tried the rollers she suggested!

meg said...

I was just figuring she would walk out with you & drive herself to the hospital :-)

Becca said...

Wow, that is one determined woman. I wonder what her story is. Maybe you should ask her. Bet she is pretty interesting.