Sunday, August 24, 2008

Utah Trip continued.......

Since Joni finished with her test so quickly I suggested that the three girls spend the day at Lagoon.

They were good girls and didn't want to desert their mother, but I managed to make them understand that I WANTED them to all go to Lagoon and let me do my own thing! I was really looking forward to spending the day the way I wanted to. We went to Utah in Lisa's car, and so they all agreed to go without me and I would be free until 5:00 pm. We got on the freeway to drive the 30 miles to Lagoon. As we're driving down the freeway at 75 or so miles an hour we were all sitting kind of quietly. Joni was in the back seat directly behind the driver, Lisa. Joni was gazing out the window, probably reliving the test in her head and she noticed that we were next to a semi-truck. She started musing about the semi right next to us and thought,

"this is just like that movie where a car is surrounded by semis on the freeway and they start to squeeze in on the car."

"...in fact that semi is getting awfully close."

"...OH MY GOSH, THAT SEMI HAS IT'S BLINKER ON AND IS CHANGING LANES RIGHT INTO US!!!"

So, Joni very calmly said to Lisa, "Lisa, that semi is going to hit us."

We all immediately looked over and saw that it was mere INCHES away from hitting us. Joni could have reached out her window and touched it! We all screamed and Lisa very smoothly inched her car away from contact with that big beast. I was quite impressed that she didn't jerk the steering wheel trying to avoid contact. If she had we probably would have rolled. Thank you Lisa!

When we were a safe distance away from the truck Lisa said she's sure that blasting her horn at the truck really put him in his place. I didn't believe her.

"You honked your horn? I didn't hear anything."

She got a sheepish look on her face and confessed that her horn wasn't exactly the loudest thing on the road. I wanted to hear it, so she gave me a demo.

I'm sure that semi-truck driver was properly chastized once he heard Lisa's "toot toot" - NOT. It sounded like a toy. We all had a pretty good laugh over Lisa's wicked-awesome scary-sounding horn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ya know....My friend Lisa has a huge fear of semis. I have a huge fear of hubcaps. Hubcaps flying off a car on the freeway at 75 MPH and I have no where to go. Lisa? You need to get an aoooogah horn. Just for that reason. Understand? ;-) Do it. You'll thank me some day. Trust me.