Tuesday, March 10, 2009

God Bless Mrs. *****

Yesterday morning came way too early. I had no trouble waking up, or even getting up. But all day long I just felt ill. Not enough sleep. It is a quirk of my body that if I don't get enough sleep, or eat regularly that my ticker wants to beat out a stoccato rhythm all day, or until I sleep or eat. Yesterday was the day. I just felt like going home and crawling back in bed, but I had class and then work. I kept watching the clock at work waiting for the moment when I could drive home and sleep. Finally work ended and I was on my way. I didn't ever have a nap, though. Something terribly exciting happened and I stayed up until midnight.



Anyone who has visited my house in the last, oh, say......10 years has probably noticed the sorry state of my living room furniture. It was over 20 years old and had enough shredded parts to keep the cats entertained. It had enough holes in the cushions to peak my dog's curiosity. Surely there must be doggy treats buried in there? Poor Oscar discovered that the only thing he found after digging a nice hole in the middle of the cushion was a very irate owner. Small holes had turned into restuffed big holes.



Company would come and, when offered a seat, would drop down onto what looked like a fairly high couch. But then they would sink down and down until their knees were about level with their heads. They would then discreetly try to scoot their tushes forward so that they could balance on the edge of the frame. Other guests would absent-mindedly play with the strings and tatters that hung off the side. It was embarrassing. We were becoming recluses, not wanting anyone to visit. Money was always needed for something more vital, like transportation, tuition, food.



Then yesterday a miracle happened. Mike went to school and was preparing for his day. He had first period free and went to make copies or something in the teacher's lounge. There, posted on the bulletin board was message. Free couch and loveseat. Contact Mrs. *****. Mike thought there was no way it was still available. He beat it down to that blessed teacher's room and discovered that it was indeed still available. At 5:00 last night we went to look at it. It was beautiful. there weren't any strings or tatters. The cushions were intact! And she asked if we wanted the two tables that went with it. They were also beautiful. Mike said later he was suprised I didn't start Whooping and Cheering right there in her living room. We brought it all home last night and hauled away the old stuff. It's so beautiful all sitting in my living room, looking so at home. God bless unselfish people who offer things for free.



Now, I think we need to invite some people over.

9 comments:

Abby said...

Are you sure that's our living room? It looks a little too nice for us. We like the good ol' lived in stuff! But it looks good!

Becca said...

Very nice, and free is a very good price!

meg said...

Congratulations! What a blessing- I went thru the same thing 3 yrs ago & I still get a little teary when I look at my comfy, hole-less sofa & loveseat :-)

Lisa said...

When I first looked at the picture, I thought it was the lady's house! It looks awesome!

emiflute said...

Yipee! I especially love the tables. Lucky duck! I want to come visit. Oh can we please?

Dory said...

Wow! What a sweet deal! Enjoy it... and start inviting everyone over! :o)

Anonymous said...

that is beautimus and gorgeouful. I had never notices what nice carpet and walls you have. Happy days.

mitchowl said...

Hey Anon, You didn't notice the carpet and walls because the tattery furniture drew your attention. ha ha

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you God! I love when you get something wonderful just because! Those look great in your living room!
hugs,
Jean