Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Can't Lose For Losing

12-15 years ago I was put on Advair. I never had asthmatic attacks, just that awful feeling of hearing gurgling when I breathed. Advair is expensive. I kept wondering if I really needed it.

Then I happened to read something that got me thinking about Advair's side effects. There was a big one.

Weight gain.

Sure the doctor's poo poo that idea. Say it's not a problem. But the more I searched on the internet, the more convinced I was that Advair was an evil sinister entity out to pump me up, and I don't mean with bulging muscles.

I quit taking my Advair. That was a week ago. At first I thought it would be okay. I was a little more short of breath, I couldn't walk as fast as I normally do (I usually almost race-walk) and sure I was so dead tired at the end of the day that I couldn't motivate myself to do anything.

That's not entirely true. I forced myself to take my nightly powerwalk and dragged my butt around the course, thinking the entire time that I should have brought my cell phone so I could have someone come and pick me up.

And I didn't lose a pound.

I gave up last night and inhaled a deep breath of Advair.

It was so invigorating to take a deep cleansing breath this morning. No tightness.
No fatigue.

I may not lose any weight, but at least I won't sleep through life.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmmmmm, I guess it's better than dropping dead, right?

emiflute said...

I love advair too although I don't use it everyday. I hate having to depend on modern medicine to feel normal.
Good luck.