Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fools Day

I'm gullible and a sucker in most cases. Yesterday was no exception.

Lisa, my daughter, told me about her plans. She teaches Music Literature and planned on surprising her students with a massively hard test telling them all they read the syllabus wrong and yes, it really was today. She was afraid some of her more anal students might either burst into tears or have a coronary right there on the spot so she backed off and just gave them a 3 point pop quiz that was ridiculously hard. One student asked if it was an April Fools joke and she deadpanned, "wouldn't that be nice." Then she graded it and had them pass it in. One student just crumpled up his paper in disgust and threw it over his shoulder.

Then she said "April Fools" and said they all got 3 bonus points whether they got the questions right or not. Ha ha. I laughed when Lisa told me what she had planned.

Then I went to my class. We had just spent the entire previous class period learning how to scientifically figure out how to draw things in 3-point perspective. We had to draw a building 200 feet tall, 90 feet wide and 75 feet deep with 10 feet sidewalks and 10 foot windows. There were 22 steps to the set-up alone. The handout he gave us was 7 pages long.

So, yesterday he comes into class and said, "get out a piece of paper. I want you to draw a building 75 feet tall, 45 feet wide and 45 feet deep, with 10 foot sidewalks, a 60 foot wide road in front and a bus 30 feet long driving down the road in 3-point perspective from memory."

I frantically jot down all the specs, thinking the entire time that I don't really need this class to graduate anyway, and maybe I can remember how to do part of the set up, and maybe I can just pretend like I know what I'm doing and can just fake it.

That's when the girl behind me calls out to the teacher, "do you know what day today is?"

I felt like such a sucker.

Aren't college professors funny?

No comments: