Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thinking about Dad

Birthdays
A time to celebrate the anniversary of the beginning of a new life. New things to experience. It's a happy time with the gathering of family, friends, eating things that aren't necessarily good for you - just good.

I've been thinking about my Dad a lot in the last couple of weeks. How, just one year ago he was told there was nothing else to be done and that Hospice would be called in. How he got out of bed long enough to play one last game of Zilch with Abby and Joni and I, and how we all kept purposely losing so he could win. How just a week before the end we wheelchaired him from his bedroom to the tv room and all watched Quigley Down Under, and how much he seemed to enjoy it.

and then on May 12th of last year he died.

Deathdays
I think maybe the day you die here on Earth is just another birthday. Dad was born into a new life. New things to experience. A happy time for him with the gathering of family, friends and maybe eating some very good things that can't be bad for you anymore. Maybe in remembrance of my Dad's second birthday I will go make a cake. A birthday cake.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That's a great thought. I'm sure you're right. Knowing him, he's probably having his own celebration also!

Unknown said...

The 24th is my dad's deathday. 5 years. Mom's death day is the 31st. 4 years. I like this post.

Kent said...

Thanks for the touching blog. This one meant a lot to me as I just past the anniversary of my dad's graduation. I sure do miss him...it's only been 14 years. Sometimes it seams like yesterday. I have fond memories of the last days with my parents. Sure, I have regrets too, but they can't overshadow the goodness. Thank you so much for helping me remember the good times. :) Kent

Anonymous said...

When we are born, we cry; and all around us smile.
When we die, we smile; and all around us cry.