Thursday, January 29, 2009

Brrrrrr

Monday night driving home
Mike calls his mother in Seattle to tell her about the new baby.

Joni and I were in the car and heard his half of the conversation:
"Hi Mom. I hear you are still having pretty cold weather.
........
Yea, it's cold here, too.
.......
Its 16 below zero.
......
below zero.
.........
zero
.........
okay now its 17 below zero.
........
I know what below zero is, mom.
.......
No it's not below freezing, it's below zero.
......
We don't use that kind of temperature here, mom,
.....
below zero, not below freezing.
.....
Okay mom, its 49 degrees below freezing.
.....
Yes it is too that cold here.
....
I've lived here for almost 30 years and you didn't know it got that cold here?"


Eventually it got down to about 25 below. School was cancelled on Tuesday. Since then it's warmed up by about 35 degrees. I shovelled off our front walkway and didn't bother putting on gloves or a coat. It's a balmy 15.
Above zero.

4 comments:

mitchowl said...

After I posted this I happened to look at the photos from the previous post. Take a look at the "coat" Mike is wearing on that night. Yes, that was the only "bundling up" that he did. One thin fleece sweater. I guess after 30 years he's a true local, thick blood and all.

Unknown said...

Gotta love Idaho. California sounds awful nice to me right now, even though our weather is not as cold as yours. :)

Becca said...

I guess that I shouldn't tell you what the temp is here right now at this hour of night? Ok, a balmy 72 degrees, but I am beginning to miss home and my own bed..

Anonymous said...

hey! hi! just checking in with you!