Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Not No-No-Normal

As we were playing a rousing game of Phase 10 on Sunday evening I started to tell Lisa about something interesting in a book I was reading.

She said to me, "Mom, you don't exactly read normal books like most people."

Maybe not, but I like them.

The book is entited "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat".

(I know you are supposed to underline book titles but I couldn't figure out how to do it on blogger. I don't know html code very well.)

This is a fascinating book written by the man who inspired the movie Awakening with Robin Williams. He is a neurologist who works with a lot of very interesting cases. This book tells about some of them.

All I can say is.....

Verrrrrryyy Innterrrreeesssting.

~A man who can't tell the difference between his wife's head and his hat, and couldn't understand what a glove might be for until he watched someone slip it on to their hand, "OHHH, it's a glove!"
~Shostokovich could hear melodies in his head when he would tilt it to the side, different tunes with different tilts, because of a piece of shrapnel that was touching parts of his brain. He refused to have it removed because he used the melodies in his composings.
~Epileptic seizures that caused a man to behave like a dog.

and on and on. Why would I want to read a book of fiction when reality can be so darn entertaining?

4 comments:

Dory said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mitchowl.

Love,
Dory

Becca said...

Real life is so much more interesting than fiction any day. I agree.

Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend.

BEK said...

Nonfiction is almost always more interesting than fiction-though in fiction you can have a laser that beams you to the other side of the world in seconds versus flying in couch for 13 hrs!

Happy Turkeygiving :)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This is why I adore you!! THIS WAS SO DARN FUNNY! Thanks for sharing.