Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Looking for a rock to hide under........

It’s been a very long time since I posted anything. For a while I just had no desire. I didn’t want to write anything depressing, or negative. A lot of things in my family’s life were falling apart. I just couldn’t bring myself to write about it all. Writing about it would require thinking about it, and I was doing my best to think positive, energetic, life-affirming thoughts.
Then a few interesting things happened and my mom or my daughter would say, “You should blog about that”. It kind of got me thinking that maybe I should.
So, here goes the first story. Actually this is the latest story. This happened to me yesterday.
A student came in to my office and asked me how to access one of the network drives. I told her it was not a problem! “Let’s go into the computer lab and I’ll show you how to do it.” She informed me she had class in a couple of minutes but could come back after it let out. “Great! I’ll see you in an hour.”
You would think I could remember longer than 60 minutes, but apparently not.
I look up from my desk to see a young lady standing there expectantly looking at me. I said, “Hi, can I help you?” She kind of looked at me funny, said yes, and then kept looking at me. Suddenly I realized it was that same girl who needed to get on one of the network drives.
“Okay, let’s go into the computer lab. You log on and then I’ll show you what to do.” While she was logging on I walked a few steps away to check the network address and then walked back.
Pointing to the screen I said, “Okay, click the start button and then go to My Computers”. She looked up at me curiously and said, “will this get me to Google Earth?”
“No.
Now after clicking My Computer you click Tools and Map Network drive.”
She obediently did everything I asked.
“Now in this box you need to type this.”
As she was typing I happened to look up and met the gaze of the girl in the next row. She was looking at me like I had green horns or something.
Suddenly it dawned on me.
I was helping the wrong girl!
Apparently I can’t remember longer than 2 minutes either.
After expressing extreme embarrassment and apologizing to the poor girl who just wanted to get on Google Earth and complete her assignment, and begging her to “please forget the last 3 minutes of my life.” I turned my attention back to the right student.
I know she thinks I’m an idiot, and after that little experience I would have to agree with her.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

We all have our spacy moments. I think it helps us understand when someone "spaces out" on us. I came in from the garden yesterday and the phone rang. It was the lady I do Activity Days with at church. She was wondering if I was coming to Activity Day (I helped schedule) which started 15 minutes ago. I had mud and yard dirt from head to toe. All I could do was say I was sorry I couldn't come. She said it was O.K., but I felt dumb.
Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog.