Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Childhood dream being realized........

As a child, I would stand in open-mouthed awe at a skill I noticed other people seemed to easily possess. This awesome talent had the ability to bring an entire crowd silent as they turned as one to look at the one doing it.

Oh how I longed to learn this great feat!

Is there anything more thrilling, able to raise the hair on the necks of listeners, or as LOUD as the piercing siren whistle produced by placing your fingers in your mouth?

Every time I heard someone call the attention of the crowd by using "the whistle" I would search that person out and grill them on the methodology.
"How do you do it?"
"Where do you put your fingers?"
"How do you blow?"

Then I would go home and practice. I tried tensing up my tongue and letting it go flacid. I tried keeping my fingers far apart and practically touching, far down my throat so that I would gag and barely inside the line of teeth.

All that I accomplished was jaw spasms, slobbery hands, and drool dripping down to my elbows.

I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Time passed. A LOT of time passed.

As a 50 year old grandmother, I spent yesterday working in the yard. Our weather was decidedly "Oregon-like". I loved the overcast, cooler temps and spent a good 3 hours hoeing and raking and digging in my yard. Then I went on my usual 2 mile walk. When I finished, my muscles were sore. I soaked in a tub of hot water letting it work it's magic on me.

And for some reason, I thought again about whistling with my fingers. On a whim I tried it. A thin whistle issued forth from my lips.

Did I really do it? I tried again. Another whistle, a little more piercing this time, sounded. I heard Oscar running up the stairs outside my bathroom.

Had I just summoned him with my high pitched, dog-like whistle?

Had I finally done it?

I knew I was still in the beginning stages of achieving the full-blown piercing scream that I have so long admired, but at least I had finally made a sound!

This morning I tried again. Once again Oscar came running.

If I never progress beyond this stage, at least I've found a new way to call my dog.

But I have every confidence that I will be blasting like a referee's whistle in no time. I've finally caught on. I just need to fine tune a little. Then I'll work on doing the same thing WITHOUT using my fingers. (True screech-whistle masters can do it.)

It's always good to have goals, don't you think?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go! I should try working on my goals while soaking in a tub...

giggles said...

I've always wanted to be able to do that too...guess I should keep trying.
Any tips?

emiflute said...

That's great! If I ever figured that out and used it in a crowd, my peircing whistle would be followed by a very noticable deep magenta color upon my face. Too much attention for me I think!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. In the tub nonetheless! Too funny! Oscar admires your skill. I was late 20's before I discovered I could do it, but not nearly as good as my mother would. Her whistle would make the hair stand up on the back of my neck and make my blood curdle. Hands down.

Dory said...

Congratulations!
That is hilarious! Mainly b/c I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to learn to do this and I JUST CAN'T DO IT...... yet. ;o)

Gotta run, I think my bathtub is calling....