Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just Start

I was in a group of people. We were waiting. I had a pencil and a pad of paper with me. I looked around. There were some very interesting faces. They hardly moved as we waited. I started to draw. It felt pretty good. It's been a long time since I've drawn anything. I was quite startled to realize that what I was drawing was really good! I thought to myself, "why haven't I been drawing for so long? I'm pretty dang good at it!" The faces were captured on my pad, one after another.

The waiting ended. I hurriedly put away my pad and pencil and stood up.

and then I woke up.

I think it was a sign. I need to start drawing again, whether I feel like it or not.

So tonight, after cleaning up another vomit mess and feeling drained that after a week my son was still sick, I went in the studio.

I got out my pad, and my pencil, and I started to draw.

and I thought to myself, "why haven't I been drawing for so long? I'm pretty dang bad at it!..........but I'll get better."

And you know what? It felt pretty dang good.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Our department is full of hidden talents! My button-holes are working out quite smashingly.

Anonymous said...

If a thing is worth doing at all, then it is worth doing poorly . . . until . . . you can develop the skill . . . to do it with excellence.

Unknown said...

I think it was a sign. Keep drawing! I love your posts. You're so funny. :)

Lisa said...

Way to go! and Andy needs to go back and take Vomit 101 if you still have to clean up his messes. Don't get piggy flu from him!