Monday, July 23, 2012

Cemetery AND Chicken Tales

Yesterday the weather was perfect for a bit of cemetery work.  Cloudy and rainy.  Not rain, really, just misty.  Ideal.

I went to work on the Lewisville Cemetery, thinking I might be able to finish it up.  No such luck.  I don't know if it was because of the cloudy overcast sky or my well-used camera, but the GPS wasn't working very well and the app kept freezing up.  I probably force-stopped it and restarted about 20 times.  Normally I get between 300-500 headstones photographed on a Sunday afternoon.  Yesterday I barely topped 100.

But I did find quite a gem among the headstones there in that quiet, out of the way, cemetery.
Here's a hint:

The headstone right next to this one was the gem.  It was the  marking for Caroline Harris, wife of Martin Harris who was one of the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon.  This was Martin's second wife, not the notorious Lucy, who demanded that Martin borrow the manuscript from Joseph Smith. 
Anyway, I guess Caroline really appreciates her privacy because my camera froze up numerous times and then I finally thought I got the photo, only to come home and discover that it was not saved.  I will have to sneak up on the old gal next time and take that photo before she knows what's happening.

Chickens!
Last night Mike was going to shut the door on the chicken run.  He called to me and asked me if I knew where the 2 white leghorns were.  In a moment of sassy annoyance I said, "yes, they're right here in my pocket."  He was outside with the hens and I was lying down on the bed inside the house, after all.  Of COURSE I didn't know where they were.  I wasn't worried though.  I knew they were probably just roosting somewhere.

After a few minutes I got up and went outside to hunt for them.  I walked through the back yard, around the house and was in the garage when I heard Mike call from the deck.  He had found them.


They were so high up that we used a rake and could barely pull down the branch under them to knock them out of the tree.

Silly chickens.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, chickens CAN fly! And that is very cool about your church history find!

emiflute said...

NEAT! -no really, how cool to find a family member to Martin Harris!