Sunday, March 18, 2012

Epitaphs

Other families probably don't do this, but the topic of conversation at our house is occasionally about cemeteries. This could be due to the fact that I spend a lot of time in them doing my hobby.

One particular conversation was about epitaphs. These are the little snippets that are insights into the life of the one interred. Little glimpses into what was important to them, what they were like, or what they were remembered for.

These can be humorous, like the one I read at the Rose Hill Cemetery that said,
"See, I Told You I Was Sick!",
or
"I'd Rather Be Fishing",

to solemn
"Here Lies A Good Man"

They are glimpses into what the deceased did for a living,
"A Woodman of the World"
"Teacher of All"

and to what kind of a person they were in life,
"Loved By All"
"Loving Mother, Wife, Grandmother"

Sometimes they are messages from the family to the departed,
"You Will Be Missed"
"I Love You More, ha ha, I Said It Last!"

One day I was talking with some of my kids about what I might want on my headstone after I pass. I considered something like, "I'd Rather Be Painting" or maybe, "At last I have time to Paint". We were being silly, and having a good time.

About this time Mike called me on the phone. I told him what we were doing and asked him what he wanted to have on his headstone.

Mike's big belief in life is to render service as much as is humanly possible. He is always looking for ways to help people out. When people thank him for the help he usually says,
"If I can't help you out during the week, then what's the use of going to church on Sunday?"

And so that's what he said he wants to have on his headstone.

We hung up the phone and I told the kids what dad said. We agreed that was way too long and were trying to figure out a way to shorten it. We came up with this,
"What's the Use Of Going to Church?"

Mike was not amused.

5 comments:

Abby said...

I'm pretty sure David thinks we're all creepy because of how much we talk about death. But when he heard this story he laughed so hard!

Lisa said...

Okay, that made me laugh out loud.

Nancy said...

HA!!

Anonymous said...

Of all that I've ever read, this one was the most profound:

"When we are born, we cry; and all around us smile. When we die, we smile; and all around us cry."

Lucky Larson's said...

I am just hitting "next blog" buttom and found yours. Wonderful! I am also drawn to cemeteries and find comfort in them.

Thank you for documenting your thoughts.