Sunday, May 2, 2010

I Have a Secret

For the past 10 years or so I have been engaging in a clandestine activity during church. My husband knows about it. My kids do too. I think I've kept it pretty secret from the rest of my church-going companions, though.

This is my secret.

I draw people.

Once I sat behind a young family. Obviously the mother took great care in styling her daughters long tresses. I was fascinated with the braids and ribbons. I came home that day with hair sketches. Sometimes I sit across from a very interesting wrinkled old face. I have to draw it.

Lately, though, I have been sitting on the stand. When I had my foot surgery in December I couldn't get around very well, so I got in the habit of staying on the stand for the entire meeting. The last few weeks I began to notice all the interesting views I was getting of the backsides of people talking from the pulpit.

I began to sketch. I have to be quick on Testimony day because I never know how long they will "pose" for me.


And just in case you are wondering, I find that I remember more about what they said when I sketch than if I just sat there.

So here are my "Secret Sketches" from the last couple of weeks. And please keep my secret. I don't want people to be self-conscious about what their backsides look like while they're standing there.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestng! I sit on the stand often and every fast sunday. It will never be the same for me now.
:) Kent

Anonymous said...

I may never want to stand at the pulpit again. :)

That's awesome. How fun. I recently had someone do a portrait of me, and was pleased with the results. You artists are incredible!

Nancy said...

Remembering this anniversary....Thinking of you.

Calgaroo said...

OMG!..I absolutely love your photos..they are gorgeous..

Elizabeth Devine said...

Wonderful! Keep doing it! Its fantastic when discovering a new talent, and I would definitely encourage you to take all of the enjoyment out of it that you could ever want. Have you tried any places other than your church? Like sitting at a cafe or at a park? Maybe small restaurants?